- Can I add assessments to my variation?
- I want to use activities from another variation
The Variations feature ensures a consistent curriculum architecture while allowing for the natural variation caused by modality, instructor, learning resources, assessments, and time frame. With these different course variations, the types and timing of assessments may differ as well. Adding unique learning activities and assessments to a course variation can be done by Editors and Managers.
Suppose the Base Variation is designed for a face-to-face experience. The Manager can add an online variation and include the readings, videos, and quizzes from the face-to-face experience by adding them as full activity sets. This is easy to do since all the learning objectives are consistent across variations! Then the Manager can add new activities that will only be deployed in the online course, like asynchronous discussions and oral exams.
Editors can add still them one at a time, just like a regular course.
Add an activity set:
Add a single activity:
There are two ways to add activities to a course variation:
- Add a single activity- this walks you through the normal 3-step process. Editors and Managers can do this. You can find directions in this article: How do I create an Assessment or Learning Activity?
- Add activity set from another course variation, or the Base Variation- this lets you choose another activity set (singular type, like reading) from another variation of your course. Managers can do this.
To add an activity set from another course variation, or the Base Variation
If you are a Manager, you may add activity sets to a course variation. Most Managers will do this when turning on the Variations feature. You can also add the activity sets from the Base Variation.
Step 1: First, you need to make sure you are on the course level (level 4), and go to the variation you would like to add the activity set to. You can find the course variation by selecting it from the drop down menu in the top bar, or by clicking on the Variations icon in the right panel.
Step 2: Make sure that Edit mode is turned on, and click on the Activities icon in the right panel. Next, click on the plus sign +.
Step 3: Select Add activity set from another variation, and then click on Next. Select the activity type from the Activity Type drop down menu, and select the course variation of choice. Press OK to add the set.
Note: When adding an activity set from another course variation, some of the activities may be connected to orphaned LOs. In a case like this, you might not see all the activities visualize on the circle graph until those orphans have been categorized into bundles. This is because only a few orphans visualize on the circle graph at a time; the rest are within the expanded orphaned LO panel.
Want to know more about learning activities and assessments? Check out this article: Navigating the Activities Graph
For more information on course variations, we recommend these articles:
- Glossary: Variations
- Glossary: Course Nucleus
- Glossary: Base Course
- Who can do what on course (level-4 object) variations?
- How do I edit a base variation?
- How do I switch between variations?
- What's the difference between a course (level-4 object) variation and a course (level-4 object) archive?