- Does my LMS integrate with Coursetune?
- Can I pair D2L Brightspace with Coursetune?
Who can do this? Coursetune Admins who are also D2L Brightspace Admins
To set up Coursetune in your Brightspace instance, you must be an admin in both accounts. You will do this in four steps:
- Create a new tool provider in Brightspace
- Create a new link in Brightspace
- Register an App
- Add Coursetune to your Brightspace Navbar
Start by logging in to your Coursetune account, and click on the hamburger button in the top bar. Then, select Integrations from the dropdown menu.
Select D2L Brightspace from the dropdown menu.
Leave this panel open. You will be copying information from the panel later.
In a separate browser tab, log in to your D2L Brightspace admin account.
Step 1: Create a new tool provider in Brightspace
Once logged into your D2L Brightspace admin account, click on the settings wheel in the upper right corner, and select External Learning Tools.
Select Manage Tool Providers (Legacy), and click New Tool Provider.
You will now be copying the Launchpoint URL, Shared Secret, and Consumer Key from the D2L Brightspace integrations panel in your Coursetune account. You will paste them in D2L Brightspace on the New Tool Provider page.
1. Paste the Tool Provider URL from Coursetune into the Launch Point field
2. Make sure to set Version to Inherit Global (1.1)
3. Make sure to set O-Auth Signature Method to HMAC-SHA256
4. Paste the Shared Secret from Coursetune into the Secret field
5. Make sure to check Use custom tool consumer information instead of default under Tool consumer information
6. Paste the Consumer Key from Coursetune into the Key field
7. Next, enter the Name (Coursetune), Description (optional) and Contact email (optional) you would like to have for this tool.
8. Under Visability, make sure the check Allow users to use this tool provider.
9. Under Security Settings, make sure all of the boxes are checked.
10. Check Current Org Unit: [name of your instituions' Brightspace, will be autopopulated]. Make sure to save your changes.
Step 2: Create a new link in Brightspace
Creating a new link will allow you to add Coursetune to your navigation bar in Step 4.
1. In your D2L Brightspace admin account, click on the settings wheel in the upper right corner, and click External Learning Tools.
2. Click on Manage Tool Links (Legacy), and click New Link.
On the New Link page, fill out the following required fields:
3. Title: Coursetune
4. Tool Provider URL from Coursetune
5. Make sure under Visibility, the Allow users to view this link is checked.
6. In Key/Secret section check Sign messages with key/secret with, and then select Tool consumer key/secret.
Please note that the Key and Secret fields will be inactive and blank. This is OK, as you have already entered these things in the first step.
7. Under Security Settings select Use tool provider security settings.
Click Save and Close.
Step 3: Register an App
1. In your D2L Brightspace admin account, click on the settings wheel in the upper right corner, and click Manage Extensibility.
2. Click OAuth2.0, and then click Register an app.
3. Name the app Coursetune.
4. Copy the Redirect URI oauth2.0 from Coursetune’s D2l Brightspace Integrations page, and paste into the Redirect URI field.
5. Under the Scope, copy and paste this exact string- content:*:* core:*:* discussions:*:* grades:*:* quizzing:*:*
6. Make sure that the Access Token Lifetime is 3600 secs (should be defaulted).
7. Check Prompt for user consent, Enable refresh tokens, and I accept the Non-Commercial Developer Agreement.
8. Click Register
9. Copy the Client ID, and paste into the Coursetune Application Key field.
10. Copy the Client Secret, and paste into the Coursetune Application Secret field.
11. Copy your organization's Platform URL from your browser (ends with .com) into the Coursetune Platform URL field. (Make sure there is no https:// pasted)
Click Save in your Coursetune Integrations Panel.
Step 4: Add Coursetune to your Navbar
Now that you have created a link in Step 2, you can now add it to your D2L Brightspace navigation bar.
1. Click on the D2L Icon, just to be sure we are editing the standard Navbar.
2. Hover over the right side of your Navbar to see the meatball menu (ellipsis, or 3 dots), and select Edit This Navbar.
You will now be creating a custom Coursetune link for the Navbar.
3. Under Links, click on Add Links. Next, click Create Custom Link.
4. Name your link Coursetune.
5. Click Insert Quicklink.
6. Click External Learning Tools.
7. Search the list for the tool link you created in Step 2, and click on it.
8. The URL field will populate with your link. Under Behavior, select Same Window from the dropdown menu. Leave all other options as is, and click Create.
9. Your Coursetune link will appear checked in the list, now. Click Add.
10. Back in the Edit Navbar panel, you can select and drag Coursetune to the desired destination on your Navbar, and click Save and Close.
Now, faculty and staff will be able to access Coursetune by clicking on Coursetune in the Navbar. They can link and unlink their D2L Brightspace course to their Coursetune course, and edit their Coursetune course while in D2L Brightspace.
Here are some instructor-facing directions to share with them: