- How do I add a learning activity in Catalyst?
- How do I edit a learning activity in Catalyst?
- How do I order a learning activity in Catalyst?
The Learn category encourages faculty to list the notes, readings, and videos that will help students explore the content.
Advice for Writing
Advice for writing Learn content is available in the italicized, collapsible paragraph.
The ( ? ) icon in the top right corner of the Learn category button provides additional guidance, including a link to AP’s own documentation.
Adding a Learning Activity
Adding a Learn activity involves six steps:
1. Click on the + Learn button in the top right of the Course Map.
2. In the window that opens, click on the pre-filled “Add Title” field to change the title (max characters: 256). Click the checkmark to save.
3. In the same window, click on one or more of the learning objectives to indicate which ones are linked to this activity.
4. Click OK to save the title and linked LOs. The window will close automatically, and the expanded view of the activity will be displayed.
5. Type or paste the activity description (max characters: 2048). The description autosaves.
6. Add time by clicking the button. In the window that opens, use the drop-downs to select 0-99 hours or 0-59 minutes. Click OK. The ( ? ) icon in the top right corner of the time-on-task window provides additional guidance, including a link to AP’s own documentation.
Editing a Learning Activity
1. Edit the title by clicking on the title or on the pencil icon. Make the change. Click the checkmark to save.
2. Edit the description by changing the text; it is autosaved.
3. Edit the linked LOs by clicking the LOs button. In the window, select a different LO. If the LO has a broken link indicator, click on the indicator to select one or more CLOs.
4. Edit the time on task by clicking the button, filling in the text fields, and clicking OK.
Ordering a Learning Activity
Reorder the activities in the Learn category by clicking on the hamburger icon in the top right corner of the activity to Move Up or Move Down.
The order of the activities in the Course Map will match the order of the pages in the LMS.
Note: In Coursetune, all activities in the course are organized alphanumerically within activity type categories. Activities created in the Learn category are under the “Content Exploration” category in Coursetune. All Content Exploration activities for the whole course will appear in alphanumeric order in the Activities panel in Coursetune, and they are “strictly learning.” (Read more about Activity Settings in Coursetune.)
But what if…
- If a faculty member leaves the Learn category blank, the pages that appear in the LMS depend on the Catalyst Set-up > Export to LMS options
Preview of LMS Export
Any activities added in the Learn category will export as separate pages in the LMS.
Want to know more about navigating the Course Map in Catalyst? Check out these articles:
- What is the Course Map in Catalyst?
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Opening a Module or Category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: LOs Category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Intro Category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Discuss Category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Assess Category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Summary Category