- How do I add a discussion in Catalyst?
- How do I edit a discussion in Catalyst?
- How do I order a discussion in Catalyst?
The Discuss category allows faculty to create one or more discussions.
Advice for Writing
Advice for writing is available in the italicized, collapsible paragraph.
The ( ? ) icon in the top right corner of the category button provides additional guidance, including a link to AP’s own documentation.
Automatically Added Discussion Deadlines
When the Catalyst exports to LMS, the following statement will be added automatically to each discussion:
Please post your initial response by (Data item 4 23:59 CST Wednesday) of Week X, and comment on the posts of two classmates by (Data item 5 23:59 CST Sunday).
The data items are set in Common Elements under Weekly Cadence.
Because this information will be automatically added on the export to the LMS, please do not add deadline information to the Discussion description in Course Map.
Adding a Discussion
Adding a Discussion involves eight steps:
1. Click on the + Discuss button in the top right of the Course Map.
2. In the window that opens, click on the pre-filled “Add Title” field to change the title (max characters: 256). Click the checkmark to save.
3. In the same window, click on one or more of the learning objectives to indicate which ones are linked to this activity.
4. Click OK to save the title and linked LOs. The window will close automatically, and the expanded view of the activity will be displayed.
5. Type or paste the activity description (max characters: 2048). The description autosaves.
6. Choose whether the discussion is a collaboration among groups or class-wide.
7. Add points by typing a number (max: 4 digits such as 9000). Points autosave.
8. Add time by clicking the button. In the window that opens, use the drop-downs to select 0-99 hours or 0-59 minutes. Click “Save.” The ( ? ) icon in the top right corner of the time-on-task window provides additional guidance, including a link to AP’s own documentation.
Editing a Discussion
1. Edit the title by clicking on the title or on the pencil icon. Make the change. Click the checkmark to save.
2. Edit the description by changing the text; it is autosaved.
3. Edit the linked LOs by clicking the LOs button. In the window, select a different LO. If the LO has a broken link indicator, click on the indicator to select one or more CLOs. Then click “OK” to save.
4. Edit the collaboration setting (group or class-wide) by clicking on the drop-down. It is autosaved.
5. Edit the points for the activity by typing a number. It is auto-saved.
6. Edit the time on task by clicking the button, using the drop-downs, and clicking “Save.”
Ordering a Discussion
Reorder the activities in the Discuss category by clicking on the hamburger icon in the top right corner of the activity to Move Up or Move Down.
The order of the activities in the Course Map will match the order of the pages in the LMS.
Note: In Coursetune, all activities in the course are organized alphanumerically within activity type categories. Activities created in the Discuss category are under the “Discussion” category in Coursetune. All Discussion activities for the whole course will appear in alphanumeric order in the Activities panel in Coursetune, and they are “strictly assessment.” (Read more about Activity Settings in Coursetune.)
But what if…
- If a faculty member leaves the Discuss category blank, the pages that appear in the LMS depend on the Catalyst Set-up > Export to LMS options
Preview of LMS Export
Each discussion will export to the LMS separately with the automatically added information about deadlines.
Want to know more about navigating the Course Map in Catalyst? Check out these articles:
- What is the Course Map in Catalyst?
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Opening a Module or category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: LOs category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Intro category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Learn category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Assess category
- Navigating the Course Map in Catalyst: Summary category